The HyMoCARES workshop at ISRivers 2018 will be held in Lyon on the 4th of June, starting at 1 pm.
The main objective of the workshop is to exchange ideas and collect suggestions/recommendations from the partecipamts about the HyMoCARES framework.
After the presentation of the content and design of the framework, the discussion will be focussed on a short list of key management/restoration actions, and their functional links with biophysical functions and ecosystem services. Two management/restoration actions have been identified:
(1) the management/restoration of sediment continuity (e.g. by artificial sediment replenishment, check-dam removal/management, sediment flushing below dams/other reservoir bedload management measures);
(2) the management/restoration of floodplain-channel connectivity (by bank protection and/or levees removal).
Some predictive/assessment tools and case studies that could help managers to identify the expected effects of these actions on biophysical functions and ecosystem services will be presented by HyMoCARES team, but the partecipants to the workhop will be invited to think about relevant tools/case studies/published material that could be shared with the group to improve the content of the framework. Here is a list of key questions that the HyMoCARES team will address during the discussion
- How to assess/predict the bedload travel velocity in a context of sediment continuity restoration/management?
- How to assess/predict the morphological responses to sediment supply forcings?
- How in-channel sediment replenishment operations should be designed in both space and time? How to determine the volume of sediment recharge needed to restore a reach?
- How to assess/predict the physical habitat responses to morphological changes?
- How to assess the effect of morphological changes on aesthetics of landscapes, water-related activities (including recreational activities)?
- How to assess/predict the effect of floodplain restoration on the lateral connectivity of hydrosystems, and subsequently on flood risk reduction?
During the discussion, it will be possible for every participant to show some slides with the group, so everybody is invited to bring material considered pertinent with the topics tackled.
More information about ISRivers 2018 can be found at ISRivers 2018 website: https://isrivers2018.sciencesconf.org/