Aims & Activities
ALPGRIDS main objective is to increase the uptake of RES in the Alps through microgrid solutions
Microgrid: In a nutshell a microgrid is a small scale energy system that can operate autonomously (islanded from the main grid) or connected to the main grid and groups on a given territory several RES producers and consumers.
Key benefits of using microgrids for local communities, municipalities and energy stakeholders are mainly two-fold:
- Increase their energy autonomy: by facilitating local energy transactions: local energy consumer can purchase electricity from local RES producers directly or indirectly at an acceptable price
- Improve the resilience of electricity networks in the case of emergencies, power outages
Additional benefits may include:
- Reduction of electric losses and infrastructure costs
- Introduction of new services to the grid
Objective : The project will focus on creating a transnational enabling environment to foster microgrid solutions supporting in particular the creation of local energy communities.
In particular, ALPGRIDS will focus on:
- Developing a common understanding of microgrids and their benefits
- Creating an enabling policy environment for microgrids
- Replicating the microgrid model in the AS and beyond
How ? To achieve these goals, the project will build on 6 existing pilot sites in 5 countries and take them to the next steps in order to develop 3 key outputs listed below. Transnational exchanges will be implemented involving local energy stakeholders and policy makers.
Outputs : The project will develop :
- an alpine microgrid model for energy communities and project developers
- a policy package for national, regional and local policy makers for instance to improve their energy and climate plans
- a replication programme involving organizations outside the consortium in relation with EUSALP AG9 on energy.
The project will run until June 2022. It involves 12 project partners from 5 EU Member States and is led by Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes Energy Environment Agency (AURA-EE). Transnational activities are planned among which transnational workshops, site visits, summer school, bi-lateral exchanges, etc.