REPORT ON NEW ALPINE SPACE PROGRAM SOCIAL INNOVATION VISION
Social innovation general definition
- A new answer to social needs or societal challenges, met by Alp area, regardless of the nature of innovation (technology, services, new uses…),
- Through a collaborative approach that involves beneficiaries, users and affected stake holders,
- That has a positive, sustainable and measurable impact.
Possible levels of applications
- Social needs and societal challenges* (ecological issues must be linked to social need or challenge?) Cf. WPT2
- Positive impact
- Sustainable impact
- Measurable impacts
Social innovation processes
Social innovation impact
- What are the criteria? (definition)
- What are the indicators? (evaluation)
Social innovation criteria
We need to agree on the definition of each of these elements:
- Level of newness / concept of innovation
- Social dimension
- Ecological (environmental) dimension.
How do we consider this question of environment? Either as a separate condition if we consider ecology and social innovation are closely related or do we only consider the environment aspect when it is clearly linked to a social need, as suggested (cf. WPT2)
Social impact measurement
We suggest to determine 2 or 3 simple key elements easy to operate to measure social impact and to consider time of observation.
- Level of complexity. Logical course of action doesn’t allow complex models. Cf. WP4. (some simple tools have been developed by AVISE and other organisations).
> Social impact existing tools benchmark
- Duration: Immediate impact/medium term and long-term impact and connection between impact in time.
- Effectiveness/efficiency (= effectiveness + level of mobilized resources)
- Side effects/unexpected effects (on observed population or another population)
Assumption: An action cannot be presented as a positive impact if it induces a negative impact otherwise)
Considering issues encountered by invited actors to fill online survey, it might be relevant to anticipate an awareness program (videos, testimonies…) before implementing training and social innovation schools.