BB-CLEAN

Strategic tools towards a sustainable use of biomass for low carbon domestic heating

O.T5.2 - Action plan for adopting shared EU solutions to regulate biomass use for domestic heating

This policy relevant document shows the path to be undertaken to implement the proposal of harmonised policy developed for the Alpine Region in the frame of BB-Clean project in all the EU Member States interested in the mitigation of climate change and air pollution linked to biomass burning in domestic heating. The goal of the proposed harmonised policy is, where feasible, realisation of centralized biomass plant with 70% of households connected to the district heating, the rest (30 %) change their appliances to new generation appliances (introducing also heat storage systems). In other areas a complete replacement of old appliances is recommended.